5.16.2008

Why Servers Think You Are Rude


Please turn off portable electronic devices as the captain prepares for take off.

Beginning July 1st, 2008, it will be illegal to use a cell phone while driving your car in NC. There are several other states that have enacted this law, and more will surely follow. Even emergencies will not be tolerated as an excuse. All drivers must pull over and stop their vehicle before using a cell phone unless they have a wireless device usable without a headphone. Speakerphones are not excluded from this ruling.

Mind you, I don't find this to be a big deal, as I only use my cell phone in the car for convenience purposes. I actually prefer to drive safely, and make my calls when I am in a quiet safe place. But not everyone believes in that. In fact, a lot of people feel they can and should use their cell phones whenever and wherever they please.

Namely, inside restaurants.

New York Restaurant Reviewer, Steven Shaw, recently chimed into the 'anti-cell phone in restaurants' debate with these pro-cell phone comments:

'Hello? Just what do these people think cellular phones are for? Although I've seen the occasional person get loud on a cellular phone, and although I hate it when they ring (I think people should put their phones on silent/vibrate, as I do, when in a restaurant), I can't see any other rational argument against their use--it's nobody's business whether I talk to my dining companions, a person on the other end of a phone, my dog or my imaginary friend Billy. When I receive a call, I generally excuse myself and talk in an out-of-the-way location, but I don't demand that anybody else follow that procedure. If you keep your voice down, you're okay by me. I should also point out that, having dined in many other countries, I can state with authority that cell-phone use in American restaurants is extremely low by the standards of the industrialized world.

Opposition to customers who make a lot of noise (be it via use of a cell-phone or through being loud in some other way) is perfectly legitimate. But an objection to cell-phones used at normal conversational volume levels just seems petty. It says more to me about the opponents' inflated sense of self-importance (as though a restaurant meal is too sacred to be interrupted by petty business concerns) than it does about cell-phone users.

Plus, who do these rabid anti-cellular-phone restaurateurs think is keeping them in business? People with cellular phones, specifically business people, that's who. Take me, for example. As a small businessman with a solo law practice and no secretary, I find the cellular phone to be an essential liberating tool. Having the cellular phone allows me to go out (dine out, take a walk, drive my car, whatever) at times when I otherwise would have to sit by my phone all day and wait for a call from a judge's chambers, client or opposing counsel. I can see it now: "Gee, Phil, sorry you had to spend the night in jail, but my hero Danny Meyer said I had to shut off my phone." And it's not just the professional crowd. What about expectant fathers or people with sick loved-ones? Heck, what about people who just want their friends to be able to reach them? Is that so horrible?

If I can't bring my phone to a restaurant, I won't eat there at all.'


His argument was followed by a well thought out response from Rivers Janssen, Editor, Fresh Cup Magazine:

'I'm not really involved in the restaurant industry, other than as a frequent patron. But I do have an opinion on cell phones in restaurants (or in virtually any other arena). I don't like them. Pure and simple.

It's not so much about people talking, although I don't appreciate sitting through a meal while having to listen to one end of an inane conversation. It's more a slight variation on Steven Shaw's argument. He says, toward the end of his piece, that people who dislike cell phones in restaurants have an inflated sense of self because they believe the restaurant meal is somehow sacred. I don't have any such expectation of restaurant food. I do, however, believe 95 percent of chronic cell phone users have extremely high opinions of THEIR self worths, otherwise they wouldn't take it out at such inopportune moments (i.e. at the gym, in a hotel shuttle, during dessert, etc.). I have heard more ridiculous cell phone conversations on the floor of the gym than I care to recount. Not a single one of them couldn't have been delayed 45 minutes until he or she was safely within the confines of a car.

Are you that indispensable that you must be on-call at all times? If you are that important, then more power to you. And please do exactly what Mr. Shaw does and excuse yourself from the dining area. If you're not that important--and most of us are not, but think we are--then you must be like the rest of cell phone civilization. You must believe that by pulling out your cell phone in public, you are somehow impressing upon the rest of the population that you are ESSENTIAL to your business.

There's a reason that much of America looks amused when watching a businessman drive by in a convertible BMW while talking on a cell phone. It's because we understand that this person has lost touch with who he is, and thinks he must regain it by purchasing pretty toys and using them in public.

I know I'm probably in the minority in this one, and I know I digressed from the original argument, but it's hard for me to take this whole thing seriously just because I think cell phones are so ridiculous. I value my free moments, and I love the fact that I can't be reached much of the time. Mind you, I do believe cell phones are useful in certain situations, particularly emergencies.

I don't think cell phones should be banned from restaurants; that seems a little restrictive. I just wish people would take a step back and look at cell phones with a critical eye. When our biggest concern is that we'll lose the right to look like a self-important buffoon in front of a restaurant full of diners, it's clear our priorities are out of whack.'

Mr. Janssen's response is the appropriate response to this debate. It isn't the restauranteurs who feel their establishment is too good for cell phone use. Or that their food is somehow demeaned by their patrons using the cell phone while eating. The argument from the restaurant industry that I most frequently hear, is the rudeness of the so-called self inflated customers, who are using their cell phones. Does this mean they are probably also rude when they don't have a cell phone stuck to their ear? Yes. Truthfully, that's more than likely. But adding a cell phone to the situation just somehow makes it even worst.

Not a day goes by that I don't hear a two-fold complaint from a server about a guest, 1.) who won't look them in the eye and 2.) who is having an inane one way conversation at a table, and can't have the decency to recognize that the server at their table is patiently waiting for them to take a break from their conversation, a quick breath, anything, which will allow the server to start and complete their steps of service which would include things like, welcoming them to our restaurant, asking for a beverage order, confirming a dinner order, and offering dessert, at the very least. Nevermind the other customers who are patiently waiting for the same server to get to their table to provide them with prompt, excellent service. Which they will probably not be getting, because their server is standing at Mr. Cell Phone Man's table, trying to think of a way to politely interrupt, or catch the customer's attention, without appearing to be rude and inconsiderate.

The same thing happens daily to toll booth operators, baristas, retail salespeople, the folks at the DMV counter, grocery store cashiers, front desk clerks, airline ticket agents, and in general, anyone who's job entails dealing face to face with the public every day.

How 'bout doing us all a favor so we can end this debate? When approaching someone for a service, have the consideration to PUT YOUR CELL PHONE DOWN until the service is concluded. Regardless of where you're at.

We would all sincerely appreciate it.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I so agree with you about the customer who finds the cell conversation more important than paying attention to the person trying to serve them. Luckily if a customer of mine is too engrossed in his phone I can just wander away and make myself look busy with something else. Doing that often gets their attention, lol!